3 pounds skinless chicken breast, cubed
1 cup chicken broth (sodium free)
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
1 cup white wine
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 cup uncooked rice
1/2 cup cooked shrimp
2 tomatoes, diced
1. In saucepan, combine broth, onion, celery, pepper, wine, and spices. Bring to boil, stirring often. Remove from heat.
2. Place rice, chicken, shrimp and tomato in large casserole dish. Pour herb mixture into casserole, making sure that all rice gets covered.
3. Cover and bake 30 minutes at 350. Turn off oven, but leave casserole dish in for an additional 15 minutes.
Spicy Cajun Jambalaya – add 1/4 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper and 2-3 seeded and chopped jalapeño peppers
Turkey Jambalaya – substitute chopped skinless turkey breast for chicken
Thick and Zesty Jambalaya – substitute red wine for white wine. Add 5 tablespoons tomato paste (sodium free). Add an additional 1/2 teaspoon basil and thyme and 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
- Cajun Jambalaya with Cauliflower “Rice” Recipe (hip2save.com)
- Recipe: Texas Jambalaya (agricultureproud.com)
- Make-Ahead Monday: Jambalaya Casserole (momdecuisine.net)